사이트 내 전체검색

Campus Activities

Campus Activities

2017 Diverse Dietary Culture Project

19-01-10 16:20

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자 작성일19-01-10 16:20 조회1,091회 댓글0건

본문

During SNU’s three-day Fall Festival in Oct. 2017, the SNU Diversity Council operated a “Diverse Dietary Culture Project” near the Jahayeon area of campus. The goals of the project were to evoke sympathy for one of the difficulties—dealing with different cultural eating habits—faced by SNU’s roughly 2,000 international students from 113 countries, and to raise awareness of diverse dietary cultures by providing information about them. It was made more meaningful by the active participation of international students.

The booth featured information displays on vegetarianism, halal food, and food allergies, conducted quizzes on diverse dietary cultures, and offered some simple food samples. Visitors were also asked to participate in a “dot voting” survey on improving SNU’s food culture, the results of which were submitted to the Office of Student Affairs.

Activity Goals

• Introducing diverse dietary cultures to the members of the university community and improving their appreciation of diverse dietary cultures
  • Creating a campus culture of consideration and respect for each other’s different food cultures
Activity Summary
  • Date: Oct. 10-12, 2017
  • Place: Festival booth near Jahayeon
  • Event Subtitle: "2017 SNU Diverse Dietary Culture Project
  • Number of Participants: Approx.300
Main Activities
  • Vegetarian Team
    • Introducing the types of vegetarianism, the various reasons people adopt it, its advantages, vegetarian options at on-campus cafeterias, etc.
  • Halal Team
    • Familiarizing attendees with what halal food is, halal certification markings, the commonalities and differences between halal and kosher foods, current halal offerings at domestic universities, major halal-friendly businesses, etc.
  • Food Allergy Team
    • Explaining the definition of food allergies and their causes and symptoms and displaying examples of food allergen labeling and SNU cafeteria menus 
  • Samples Corner
    • Halal Team: halal ramen, fried fish, etc.
    • Vegetarian Team: vegetarian curries (bean curry, spinach curry) and nacho chips
Results of a Sticker Survey on Diverse Dietary Cultures (statements that a plurality of participants agreed with) 

Team

Question

Agree

Disagree

Total 

Vegetarian

“SNU provides a favorable environment for vegetarianism”

“I wish there were more vegetarian options available”

Halal

“I support offering more halal food options on campus for Muslim students”

“If halal food were offered, I would be interested in trying it”

Food Allergy

“I have experienced an allergic reaction to food”

“I would like campus cafeteria menus to provide more detailed information about ingredients”

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.