사이트 내 전체검색

Campus Activities

Campus Activities

Diversity Council Recommended Book Concert with the Author of A Desperate Life

21-10-27 09:50

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자 작성일21-10-27 09:50 조회201회 댓글0건

본문

‘Reading Diversity’ with the Author - Diversity Council Recommended Book Concert with the Author of A Desperate Life (SNU NOW, 2021.10.20.)

Reading is the most accessible medium to experience the diverse lives of others. The SNU Diversity Council recommends books that help you reflect on your own prejudice and stereotypes through annual events. As a continuation of these efforts, the book concert at the books fair for recommended books was live-streamed on YouTube by the Diversity Council on Wednesday, October 6. This event was held by inviting Jooram Jeon and Sangin Kwak, co-authors of A Desperate Life, which was exhibited at the Diversity Council’s Recommended Book Exhibition held in the first half of the year.

030c1e7bf770e369aab3180314f063b5_1651798234_7486.jpg

An Opportunity to think about diversity, the Recommended Book Fair and Book Concert 

Since 2019, the Diversity Council has been hosting annual events named ‘Reading Diversity’ to introduce books on diversity to members of the SNU campus. The main book fair was held from May 20 to June 18 at the book cafe on the second floor of the SNU Library to commemorate the ‘World Day for Cultural Diversity’ on May 21. For this book Exhibition, the Diversity Council invited SNU members to recommend a book related to diversity and the reasons for recommending the book. From this event, 41 books were selected and displayed at the Recommended Book Fair along with the reason of recommendations. The event provided an opportunity to meet and hear the authors thoughts from a selected portion of recommended books at a book concert. This year, two book concerts with the book Death of an Unknown Child on and A Desperate Life were held on June 3rd, and October 6th respectively. Yookyung Bae, a Senor Expert Coordinator at the Diversity Council, shared that “it is very meaningful that the recommended books are coming from SNU members directly, not the Diversity Council.” She added, “the book concert will provide an opportunity to promote the recommended books again and provide a space for communication between authors and readers to think about diversity together.”

A Desperate Life, One Step Closer to a Female North Korean Defector’s Life 

The book concert was broadcasted live on YouTube on Wednesday, October 6, with the book, A Desperate Life. The book contains interviews with five female North Korean defectors. The co-authors Jooram Jeon and Sangin Kwak were invited for a Q&A session and shared insights about the book at the book concert. Currently, Jooram Jeon is teaching at the Department of Counseling Psychology and Sangin Kwak is teaching at the Department of General Studies at the University of Seoul. Jooram Jeon shared, “I originally majored in family studies when I met a few North Korean Defectors through an offer from my previous manager. The manager, who was the director of a social welfare center as well, offered me a job to write a program report regarding North Korean defectors. While compiling the report, I started becoming curious about North Korean defector women, and wondered if they had psychosocial resources while they resettle. This curiosity leads to interviews with five people.” In addition, Sangin Kwak said, “Jooram Jeon asked me if I could help compile the book with her. During the process, I contemplated a lot about how I could transform the bountiful materials into meaningful documentary literature.”

Seulgi Yoon (graduate student in Environmental Planning) recommended A Desperate Life and wrote the recommendation, “This book is about resilient North Korean resettled women who are steadily building their new lives even though their lives are on the fringes of South Korean society after desperately fleeing North Korea. A Desperate Life is a meaningful and thankful book that changes our negative narratives about ladies like them.” She also attended the Book Concert and added “The progress of Jooram Jeon, a growth journey that was started by a research on North Koreans by chance which was not contained as a mere academic experience but now influences audiences through her book, has an impact on my own studies on North Korean issues and my major in Environmental Planning.”

Likewise, the Diversity Council is providing opportunities to think about diversity through Book concerts, book recommendation contest, recommended book exhibition and other events. Senior Expert Coordinator of Diversity Council, Yookyung Bae said, “Even if you are busy, sometimes it is necessary to look aside instead of looking ahead, and ‘Reading Diversity’ will provide such a space for students” and encouraged participation. Though our days may be busy,, how about taking time to look around for a little by participating in various ‘Read Diversity’ events?

SNU Student Reporter, Yujin Kang (College of Humanities)

SNU NOW, 2021.10.20.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.